Sunday 9 August 2020

The Mint Moth

 Look who I saw in my garden this weekend.

When I first spotted this little chap and his friends, I thought they looked like miniature butterflies; they're probably not much more than a centimetre across with their wings open and, look like small flies when flying. They were only interested in the white flowers of the marjoram / oregano and spent a long time on them.

After much leaning over the herb bed (and many blurred shots), I finally managed to get a photo of one of them so that I could look them up. They are, sadly, not butterflies from the world of The Borrowers but moths called Mint Moths which, as you might guess, like mint flowers and marjoram. My mint is very tatty and beneath their contempt but I'm glad they like the marjoram.


No comments:

Post a Comment