Thursday 6 August 2020

A Woolly Ambition

More than thirty years ago I found this book in a secondhand bookshop in Keswick.
Mary Thomas wrote two classic knitting books, this one and one of knitting patterns (actually stitch patterns) - both of which are essential reading for any knitter. I return to them again and again and every time, I learn something new. This one was first published in 1938 and, from the first time I read it all those years ago, I was fascinated by the chapter on Frame or Rake Knitting.
More commonly called Loom Knitting now, Frame Knitting can be worked in the round  or flat. What particularly caught my eye were the pictures on this page.
'Rib in Raised Cross Stitch' looked interesting - that's the picture at the bottom left - this was nothing like the French knitting on cotton reels of my childhood.

I lodged the idea in the "things I need to try one day" part of my mind and, every so often, I'd read the chapter again and decide I really must do something about it. And now, many years later, I've finally got round to it.
No, it's not a present; this is how KnitUK package up their orders before sending them out. A plain white paper carrier bag and tissue paper, both of which can be re-used and even the paperwork is clipped to the bag with a very useful Wonder Clip. It quite made my day to receive this and I shall definitely be ordering from this company again. As well as loom knitting supplies, they also stock yarn, knitting needles and crochet hooks.

Obviously, I had ordered a knitting loom but I was also tempted by a few other pretty bits and bobs.
Row counters, snips and stitch markers

But of course, the star of the show was my new little loom. I chose the smallest straight loom which has the pegs closer together than most plastic looms. I'm still using two strands of aran weight yarn but look - I'm doing it!
That 'Rib in Raised Cross Stitch' turns out to be a combination of rib and a twisted stocking stitch. The fabric is one thickness but the stitch looks exactly the same on both sides. The resulting fabric is soft and squishy and would make a lovely warm cowl. That's what I'm hoping this will turn into if I have enough yarn. I think it looks very pleasing when you look down into the loom too.
Mary Thomas warned that the cast on edge 'is always loose and unsatisfactory' and she wasn't wrong. That loose, flared edge at the bottom bothered me so I fiddled around with a crochet hook, trying to tighten it up. Then I realised that, if I just tugged on the cast on tail of yarn, it pulled it into shape. That's why the cast on tail is now so long that I've had to tie it into a butterfly.

I'd like to try this stitch with a variegated yarn next and then I want to experiment with normal circular knitting on the loom and anything else I can do with it. I'd be grateful for any advice from actual, grown up loom knitters out there. 

I'm so pleased to have finally achieved another one of my very many woolly ambitions, as well as discovering a good new supplier in the process.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely post. It has encouraged me to pull out my copy. It will make great bedside reading this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a wonderful book. The little illustrations are fun too.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of loom knitting!

    ReplyDelete