Tuesday 11 August 2020

All sorts of crafts

 I'm still finding it hard to settle to any one thing for very long. This heatwave isn't helping - I could do without something that makes me more breathless - and I've had several more tests this week. Any disruption to my daily routine throws me completely. I had CT scans on Sunday and an Echo Cardiogram on Monday - that's the lot for now.

When nothing appeals, I root through the boxes of unfinished stuff and see what catches my eye. Most recently, it was my lovely Turtle hexagon loom so I've been slowly adding to my little pile of hexiflats.

I'm sewing pairs of hexagons together, all woven from the same ball of variegated sock yarn, then I shall join them together to make some sort of table topper. I'm thinking of interspersing these ones with plain white hexagons to which I've added a bit of embroidery. I'll fold single hexagons in half for the edges so that my finished shape will have straight sides.

I've just discovered that Gabi from Turtle yarns has now brought out a tiny little hexagon loom called the Penny Loom which is only 1" across. Just how good is that? Anyway, The Handweaver's Studio here in the UK now stock Turtle looms so I emailed them to ask if they plan to stock the new loom. I got an answer back saying that they're already ordered and would I like to reserve one? Of course I would!

I've also finished my first ever loom knitting project, a thick, textured cowl, using two strands of aran doubled.


I'm wondering whether to make my daughter model it when she arrives tomorrow - ideal wear for a heatwave! I really enjoyed making this and am now wondering what to make next. Double knit or single, something useful or just a sample?

I haven't forgotten knitting but I can only manage nice, simple garter stitch (and even then I have a tendency to drop stitches). I've done the first two 'L's of my Double Vision Blanket which I'm thoroughly enjoying.


It's not a very good photo; I had to stand on the piano stool to fit it all in and the light was a bit weird. This blanket uses ten colours (plus contrast); the colours will be the diagonal line of squares running from top left to bottom right. The other squares show each of the colours mixed with each of the other colours in turn. I haven't explained that very well, go and look at the pattern page for something  more coherent. Anyway, I think it's looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment