Wednesday 10 July 2019

Blankets, blankets, blankets ...

There's no getting round it, my house is full of blankets. There are only a few days to go to the People's Park Centenary and the yarn bombing is everywhere. There are blankets for trees ...

... and blankets for benches.


At the moment I'm blocking a blanket a day which takes up lots of space on my bedroom floor. The cats are helping by sleeping on the wet blankets. Why do they always do that?

As well as the yarn bombing, I'm involved with planning various other activities for the day. This is just one of several collections of necessary stuff to be found wherever I can find space for them.


This lot (next to the microwave) is for the History Trail and the Labour Party stall. We're going to be making friendship bracelets with children and adults - that's the floppy things in the jug - and a mini bunting display of people's hopes for the future; the bunting flags are in the yellow bucket. As you can see, I've been doing a lot of cutting out lately.

There's also a pile of bubble blowing solution on the floor and the Labour Party banner is in the hall. I suppose I really need to work out how to put that together before Sunday. I have a constant 'to do' list on the go at the moment and, fast as I cross things off it, I think of more things to add to it. We've been helping to plan this event for a year now and, fingers and paws crossed, it's going to be a good one.

Today I thought I would have what I laughingly call a 'day off', by which I mean a day when I do my normal work. So, what did I do? I worked on another crochet blanket.


This is my Happy blanket, made with more of the lovely Sirdar Happy Cotton that you may remember me talking about recently. It took me all yesterday evening to work out how to arrange the squares; today I've been crocheting them together and taking lots of pictures. I really enjoyed it, it felt like a holiday to be doing my own work again.

I need to buy more of the cream yarn now before I can do the edging. When it only comes in 20g balls, that means buying lots of them. I looked at substituting another yarn for the cream for this reason but I couldn't find anything as nice and it didn't seem to work out cheaper anyway.

I've got a couple of year long blanket projects on the go this year too. I've just passed the halfway mark with my woven temperature blanket. Every day I weave a triangle in a colour that represents the maximum temperature on that day. Broadly speaking, it goes from blue at the coldest, via purple and green to orange and red for hot days.


Can you see the triangle for the last but one day of June? It's red! The first red day of the year (and only one so far). I got very excited about that. The blanket is a bit on the lumpy, bumpy side and my embroidery is definitely wonky but who cares? I'm hoping that blocking will work wonders for it but I can't really do that until it's finished.

The other ongoing blanket is my Year in Yarn. This is where I work a patchwork block for each month, made up of patches representing everything I've worked on. The months are put together in the following month so I've only got five months of this to show.


Far fewer projects in April and May than in the first three months of the year - park preparations again. I expect the next few months' blocks will be a lot busier.

Right - I can now cross 'Write blog post' off my list. what's next?

2 comments:

  1. I hope we will see pictures of the completed installation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I keep meaning to get round to it - just so tired at the moment.

    ReplyDelete