Friday 10 May 2019

Happy Crochet

Last week I discovered this exciting new yarn in my local shop.


It's from Sirdar and goes by the wonderful name of Happy Cotton. Those little balls are only 20g and cost £1 each. There are fifty colours to choose from and I had £10 in my purse so I bought ten to play with. Each of the colours has a name as well as a number and they're great too.


From left to right and top to bottom my colours are: Cherryade, Ketchup, Freckle, Melon, Wigwam, Treetop, Bunting, Princess, Currant Bun and Giggle. Aren't they evocative names? To me they conjure up memories of summer picnics and long days in the garden.

Anyway, to business. My first thought was to crochet a colourful mandala so I spent a day or so playing with ideas until I came up with this ...


I was so pleased with how the colours looked together and the yarn itself was a joy to work with. It's a lightish DK weight (43 m / 20g), soft and with a nice matt finish.

I then thought I'd crochet another one but, this time, reversing the colours.


Another lovely mandala but look how much yarn I had left. Now I could just have made more mandalas but I thought it might be nice to try something else. So, I set about designing a set of four coasters.


Then I thought "how about a little bowl to keep the coasters in?". Lots of double crochet and a bit of shaping later and that was done too.


By this point I had gone from idly wondering how far these ten little balls would go to a compulsive desire to make as many things as I could before running out of yarn. One more project should do it I thought.


This little octopus was very quick to make. I used the colours I had least of for his legs and then added a simple head. But guess what? I still had yarn left, admittedly in fewer colours. Well, I couldn't stop there, could I?


One little crochet pot (it's about 2" wide and tall) - actually I made two of these, although the second one had fewer colours as I really was running out of yarn at last. The leftovers just fitted into this pot as you can see. Here's what I had left after all four projects ...


I'm thinking of writing up some of these as patterns but I don't know whether to do them all or just a couple. What do you think? In the meantime, I'm off to buy some more of this beautiful yarn.


3 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous!

    You are making me wonder about doing more with my crochet hooks than simply use them for casting on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, crochet is brilliant - especially for playing with colours. I've just written up the mandala pattern, I'll probably publish it later today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to learn how to read patterns... I remember as a child ambitiously setting out to crochet a skirt... but I don't think I finished it and I was definitely making it up as I went along. Its only very recently that I've seen what passes for patterns in crochet and they are, as yet, all greek to me... time to change that!

    ReplyDelete