Tuesday 2 July 2019

Charity Down

I have an old box in my house that once contained fireworks. They cost 20/- which means they were bought before 1971 - and there's a remarkably cheery picture of Guy Fawkes on the lid.

This is the box that Mum kept the old family photographs in, most of them in black and white and many of them very small indeed.

My daughter has a very grown up, professional scanner and she's recently scanned all these photos so that we can see them in greater detail. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Tiny photos that don't look that exciting turn out to be real treasures when you can see them properly.

Which brings me to Charity Down ...


Not even big enough to be a hamlet, Charity Down consisted of the farm buildings and two small cottages, set in a valley at the end of a long road. We lived in the cottage on the left from when I was a baby until I was about three. Here I am, sitting on the back step in my nightie.


I don't remember Charity but I have heard lots of stories about our time there, mostly because we lived there during the winter of 1962 - 3. That was one of the coldest winters on record in England, rivers froze and many villagers were snowed in ... including us.


For me and my brother it must have been quite exciting; I don't remember it at all but just look at this lovely photo of the two of us.


I love the way I'm trying to copy him but, somehow, not quite getting it right. It must have been a difficult time for our parents though, no central heating then remember and only what supplies could be brought across the fields.


For the rest of her life, wherever she lived, Mum always made sure her cupboards were stocked up in winter "in case we get snowed in". I remember finding it very funny that she told me to do the same when I was living in Birmingham but, looking at these pictures, it makes sense.

We never were snowed in again as badly as this but I always half expect it to happen and yes, I stock up in winter too.


No comments:

Post a Comment