Friday 1 December 2023

Fairy Lights

This is the first of six posts to complement the six sets of decorations on my Christmas Cheer wreath. I thought you might like to know more about the books that inspired me to choose each of them.


So, the first decoration to go on this wreath is a string of fairy lights. These are such a traditional feature of Christmas decorations that I could have chosen lots of books to talk about here. In the end, I've chosen two of my favourites.

Let's start with just one of the many wonderful books by Shirley Hughes. This one features Alfie and Annie Rose; the books with them in are woven tightly into my memories of when my two children were small.


Alfie's Christmas includes all the excitement and preparation for Christmas that you'd expect. Alfie makes cards, does some baking and goes shopping to choose presents. The pictures of their newly decorated Christmas tree are magical.


One of the things I like about Shirley Hughes' books is that she includes all the little messy details of family life and this book isn't without the over-excitement and tears that go with small children at Christmas time. You'll have to read the book to find out more.

My other choice is less well known but an essential part of my Christmas reading. Meet Alpaca, the toy rabbit.


Alpaca Saves Christmas, written by Rosemary Billam and illustrated by Vanessa Julian-Ottie was published in 1990 but is now out of print. If you can find a secondhand copy, it's a lovely story. Ellen and her little brother Robert are looking forward to Christmas and so, of course, is Alpaca. They hang their stockings on Christmas Eve and Ellen has made a little one especially for Alpaca.


All doesn't go as planned though. Robert can't sleep and decides to go downstairs to wait for Father Christmas, taking Alpaca with him - "I'd much rather stay in bed." thought Alpaca.' Robert bends down to switch on the fairy lights and drops Alpaca amongst the presents.


Ellen comes down to persuade her little brother back upstairs and off they go, leaving the fairy lights on and Alpaca still under the tree. "What about me?" thought Alpaca.' And then Alpaca spots someone he recognises but it's been a long evening for Father Christmas and he falls asleep by the fire.


And that is how Alpaca saves Christmas. Mind you, he keeps the story of his adventure to himself. I love this book.

Fairy Lights


No comments:

Post a Comment