Monday 11 December 2023

Candy Canes

Today sees the publication of the last of my decorations for the little knitted Christmas Cheer wreath and I'm finishing off with something that I don't think I've ever eaten. As their name suggests, I think candy canes are an American, rather than English tradition. The look of them appeals to me though and they do add a nice, traditional touch to the wreath.


For me, these sweets are forever associated with Laura Ingalls Wilder and her books telling the stories of her pioneer childhood in late nineteenth century America. I first read them with my Mum as they came out in paperback in this country; we were so excited when we found out that there was a whole series of them (I read Swallows and Amazons as a child but didn't know there were more, how sad is that?) 

Anyway, there are several references to Pa bringing home candy for Mary and Laura in the books but the best one is of course the story of the Christmas in Little House on the Prairie.


These colour editions of the books are lovely. Not only do they add colour to Garth Williams' illustrations but there are extra illustrations too. 

Mary and Laura are worried that Father Christmas won't be able to get to them on Christmas Eve as the river is too high to cross and they go to bed sadly. But they reckon without Mr Edwards who walks miles to Independence to meet Father Christmas and collect their presents. 


As there is no snow he is, of course, on horseback. The girls are so excited when they find tin cups, pennies and little cakes in their stockings.

'Then they plunged their hands into the stockings again. And they pulled out two long, long sticks of candy. It was peppermint candy, striped red and white.’

As Laura says, "There had never been such a Christmas".

I don't know what Laura would have made of my knitted candy canes but I hope you find time this Christmas to knit a few and perhaps find a stocking to put them in.


Candy Canes

No comments:

Post a Comment