Wednesday 21 February 2024

Plodding On

Plodding on seems an apt title for my life at the moment. I'm trying to walk a little each day which adds to my general fatigue and the struggle to balance the little I am able to do without being ill and the things I would like to do. My current fun symptom is feeling sick. I have to do everything in half hour chunks or I start feeling sick and, if I ignore it, it just gets worse. Ah well ...

I find that the knitting I want to do at the moment involves lots of mindless repetition which means that I'm doing a lot of playing around with my basic Ten Stitch technique. 


This round cushion started life as a hat but was too big so it morphed into a cushion. I found a 30 cm diameter cushion pad in a charity shop that turned out to be just the right size. It's nearly but not quite knitted in one piece. The final circle is knitted separately and then sewn in place but the last round or so before that is worked with the pad in place which was rather strange. I ended up turning the cushion rather than the needles at the end of rows.

I thought how much easier it would be to knit a square ten stitch cushion cover so I've started one of those too.


The, of course, I had to have another go at the hat ...


Only time - and a lot of knitting and re-knitting - will tell if this one is going to work. I'm also plodding away at a ten stitch rug which is going to be one of the samples for my upcoming Ten Stitch Rectangle pattern.


I think I'm on the last round now. The idea is to show three different projects, each with different proportions to illustrate the formula for working any size rectangle. I've already knitted a long thin table runner.


Once the rug is finished I'll knit a table mat which will be much nearer a square and I think that'll be enough. Then I've just got to work out how to explain it all.

Once I've got the rectangle pattern done I want to get on with my Ten Stitch Oval. So far, I've only worked out the basic technique (which is fairly complicated) and knitted a sample.


I want to approach this in the same way as the rectangle, working a couple of different projects to illustrate the basic principle.

I've also been writing up a crochet shawl that I made last summer which, again, is a variation on a technique I've used before.


My Lazy Vee Shawl is worked  in a v stitch pattern from the top down using two colours, one plain and one variegated. The colours change every row but you don't need to cut the yarns which is why it's a 'lazy' technique. This is another good use for using King Cole Bramble which is my favourite variegated DK yarn.

My first project with this technique was my Lazy Vee Blanket which I crocheted again last year for a new baby, using Bramble as my coloured yarn.


I've also designed a Lazy Vee Scarf which turned out to be a very good way of toning down a somewhat bright variegated yarn.


I may have exhausted the possibilities of this particular technique now but who knows? The only other thing I've knitted lately is a pair of  Baby Boots for my new Great-Niece, Elsie Louise who was born at the end of January.

Another old pattern that I need to re-write and update.

I have been enjoying working slowly on some small cross stitch projects too. The first finish of the year was this lovely snowstorm beaded decoration kit which was in  my Christmas stocking.


It's one of a series of snowstorm kits by Mill Hill. It's worked on perforated paper; you do the cross stitch first and then add the beads with either half or full cross stitch depending on the size of the beads. I added a beaded chain to hang it by and then backed it with felt to hide all the messy ends.

Then, this week, I finished the first of the ornaments I'm making from this magazine which was also in my stocking at Christmas. Father Christmas did particularly well on the cross stitch front I think.


It took me ages to finish this one. The cross stitch was straightforward but putting it together was a pain. The only other stitching I've done is a little bit of Hardanger for a birthday card; I love Hardanger and plan to do more this year.


Oh yes, and I've started another one of my 3D beaded projects. Can you guess what it's going to be?


Obviously, it's going to be a little toadstool house, another pattern from ThreadABead. For anyone in Wales, ThreadABead are opening an actual, physical shop in Conwy this year. Can you imagine seeing those wonderful designs in real life? Which reminds me, Petite Properties, the designers of beautiful miniature dolls houses, are starting their own digital magazine this year, something I am eagerly awaiting. I wrote about my tiny house project here a few years ago. This year I'm determined to finish furnishing my little house and perhaps start another one.


One of the many things that I miss being able to do now is going to the theatre at Stratford with my son. We were gradually seeing all of Shakepeare's plays at the RSC but then Covid hit and I can no longer drive or cope with watching a long play in person. I can watch the plays on DVD because I can always stop them if I feel sick.

Anyway, I worked out the other week how many of the plays I didn't see and was surprised that, out of nearly 40 plays, I only missed eleven. My plan is to watch those on DVD when the RSC film those productions. I may have to wait a while for Henry VIII though which is rarely performed. My son has started going again on his own and, last week, I gave him a list of old programmes and books that I would like. He came back with four of the programmes I wanted and also got us each a copy of this book.


It's a very heavy book that the RSC published about ten years ago and which I thought was out of print. The RSC shop had a few copies reduced to £25 so we got a bargain. It has ten Elizabethan plays, most of which Shakespeare didn't have a hand in but it gives a good idea of what else was on the stage at the time. There are very good introductions to each play, extra essays and a really interesting section where actors or directors who have been involved in past productions talk about the plays.

Anyway, Jack and I were looking through our books together when we had the idea of reading them together. We're going to take one play a month, starting in March and read the play and all the essays about them and then talk about them together. The first one is Arden of Faversham which was inspired by a real life murder in Kent in 1551. If we stick to this, we should be ready to start reading through all the Shakespeare plays in 2025.

One more thing I've finished which may not look much but is a huge achievement for me is this 1,000 piece puzzle which I started over Christmas. For the past two months I've struggled with this. I've lost pieces (several times) and re-done the edge of the sky more times than I care to count but yesterday I put in the last piece.


It's an Otter House jigsaw; they have some lovely ones and they also come in smaller boxes than most puzzles, making them easier to store. Next I'm going to start on what will become my daughter's advent puzzle next Christmas. Let's hope it doesn't take me the rest of the year to finish it!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to read you're unwell, Frankie. Nothing worse then constant nausea. Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

    ReplyDelete