Wednesday 28 April 2021

Ladybirds


No, not that sort ... I spotted these in the garden a few weeks ago - obviously some sort of ladybird party.

The ladybirds I had in mind were these ...


I'm particularly fond of this series of Ladybird books, which were first published in the late 1950s and early 1960s. With text by E L Grant Wilson and illustrations by Tunnicliffe, they are classic first Nature books.

Knowing how much I liked them, my daughter bought me this set of new editions for Mother's Day last month.


Aren't they lovely? When I first saw them, I thought it was just the covers that were different but they are completely new books, all illustrated by the artist Natasha Durley with text by Elizabeth Jenner. When you look at the two editions of the Spring book, you can see how much has changed - and how much has stayed the same.


Although the treatment is different, some things feature in both books - Mad March hares for example.


While the text in the older book runs continuously, the new version has separate short articles. All the illustrations in the original are set in the countryside, while the new book includes things that can be seen in towns and cities too.


There is perhaps more information in the older book but the new one feels much more inclusive and varied. There is a page on shooting stars and another one on April showers; I particularly like the illustration for this one.


Ladybird books have always been mini art books and this remains true with these new books. I also like the way that the naturalistic illustrations are interspersed with some more reminiscent of modern nature guides.


These pages look so fresh and appealing after the originals.


I love the old and the new series and would recommend them both. Every home should have them. 

In my Spring garden there is something new to see every day. Having always said I didn't like frilly tulips, I have been completely won over by these ...


... and I have a new garden helper who keeps me company whenever I'm working out there.


The robin is known as the Gardener's friend and this one was particularly interested when I was digging a hole for one of my new fruit bushes.


The cats are also keen on the robin, although not in the same way as me. Tolly isn't bright enough to be able to catch it and I've told Linnet that if she kills my robin it's back to the cattery for her.

Meanwhile, Rose and I are making progress with out Spring cross stitch samplers. Here's hers which shows you the top half of the picture.


While, as normal, I'm stitching the bottom half first.


I've got a row of tulips to work at the bottom before I can start on the top half but I'm finding cross stitch tires me out easily at the moment (along with just about everything else) so that'll take me a while.

1 comment:

  1. I had those original ladybird books too, but sadly they didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete