Tuesday 13 April 2021

Bits and Bobs

This is the first week of my new 'activities timetable' which is not as exciting as it sounds. Basically, it's a way of trying to fit the essential things I have to do into a routine that puts as little stress on me as possible. One of the things on it is a regular lie down each afternoon; I don't realise just how tired I am until I stop. Other than that, it's a case of trying not to do too much of any one thing at a time, especially things that require a lot of concentration.

So, here are some of the things I've been doing lately ...


This is my Spring Sampler from Little Dove Designs. As normal, I've started in the middle and am working my way down while my daughter goes in the opposite direction.


The colours are beautiful in this design and it's lovely to stitch.

This, on the other hand, is the bane of my life at the moment ...


I finished this crochet blanket which I'm calling 'Primrose Garden' a year ago but then was too ill to write it up and publish it. I thought I'd wait until this Spring and I've been slowly writing it over the past few weeks. It's a long pattern (21 pages) and it doesn't help that it's not fresh in my mind. I shall be so glad to get it finished; I just have to proofread the thing now - did I say 'just'? - it'll take me ages. 

While working on this pattern, I felt a great need for some simple crochet so I've also started this scarf.


I'm still working on my quarter scale house from Petite Properties too. This has turned out to be an ideal long term project for me as you can only do little bits of painting or gluing before you have to leave it to dry or set. After much planning, I decided to try adding plaster brickwork to the outside walls which has turned out well.


Now I'm slowly gluing it together. This means that my trusty Lego Calendar is currently in pieces so that I can use the bricks to hold the walls together.

April will have to wait for a bit.

What else have I been doing? Well, I've finished the last of these Bestway squares which are going to be a baby blanket.


I've rather enjoyed using all those pastel, chalky shades that I don't often knit with for this project.

The tiny doll I showed you a while ago is a bit nearer to having a dress too ...


... and I've been sampling stitch patterns for a patchwork cushion project idea. Having to work slowly is making me do things with a bit more care. Normally, I would just dive into this, work non-stop and then, several days later, emerge either with a workable idea ... or not. Research and sampling is much slower but also safer.


I'm enjoying my garden too. My walks have to be so short that, often, I do a bit of gardening instead for my exercise. New flowers are appearing every day and just look at the blossom on the plum tree. It had about six plums on it last year so I'm hoping for better things this year.


6 comments:

  1. Where can I find out how to make those Bestway squares? I agree those colors are very pretty. SarahinHouston (RAV ID)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be writing the pattern when the blanket is finished. I've called them Bestway squares because the stitch pattern was inspired by an old Bestway pattern for baby booties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me you are doing a lot. If you think of this as slowing down then you must have been a whirlwind BC (before you know what). Are the ill effects beginning to leave you at least? I hope so. Your work is so fun to see so thanks for showing us the "bits and bobs" you are accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may look a lot but I'm only doing tiny bits of each thing at a time. No, I'm not really better - just living with it really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved to look at your projects and the pictures are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete