Monday 12 October 2020

Autumn Samplers

Last month I told you about a year long stitch-a-long that my daughter and I have embarked on, cross stitching a sampler for each season, using charts from Little Dove Designs. Well, we've finished our first one which is called 'Autumn Glows'.

Here is Rose's sampler ...


She stitched on 32 count linen in Raw, a natural, dark hessian colour which doesn't show up well in the photos. Rose uses Anchor stranded cottons and, as you can see, has signed her work for posterity. More of that later.

Here's my finished sampler ...


You get a better idea of the rich colours in this photo (due to the high powered lighting set up I have). One of the reasons we chose these designs is because of the designer's flair for colour. I stitched my sampler on 16 count Aida in a flecked oatmeal shade that is quite a lot lighter than the one Rose used. I used to only stitch on linen too but my eyes have got older so aida is sometimes a better option for me now. My threads are DMC.

There are lots of lovely details in this sampler, from the house at the top ...

Rose enjoyed stitching all those little leaves, I didn't!

... to the owl on the apple tree ...


... and the row of creatures, flowers and toadstools at the bottom.


I think this is my favourite part of the whole picture. The french knots on the toadstools almost look like little beads and as for that lovely spider ...


Rose is an archivist and she's trained me well in the importance of signing and dating everything. So, cross stitch is always signed near the edge of the fabric where it will be hidden under the frame but there for future generations to read. 


You'll notice that Rose hasn't given the day that she finished her sampler. That's because she finished one day later than me. The tables could be reversed next time. She did, however, manage to keep her writing in a straight line, unlike me.


I think hers, all in capitals, is much easier to read too. I may have to do that next time.

We will be starting our next sampler Winter Warmth in December. I suspect that these will take us longer to finish, what with all that other festive stitching we shall want to do. Christmas cross stitch is definitely the best. 

2 comments:

  1. What an intricate design you chose to cross stitch. I love that you and your daughter worked on the same sampler. I haven’t cross stitched in years and don’t think my eyes could work on such closely woven fabric. Maybe I could use plastic canvas but that would be cheating! I plan to follow your blog faithfully. I’m sending warm, healing thoughts for a complete recovery in the not too distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you. I do sympathise about the eyesight problems. I find aida easier to see than linen and I have a magnifying craft light which means I can use linen, even in the winter. It roughly doubles the size of the stitches.

    ReplyDelete