Friday 23 August 2019

Peruvian Purse

I had a lovely day at the Festival of Quilts a few weeks ago. There's always so much inspiration to be had from the quilts on display; I was particularly pleased to see that there was more hand quilting on show this year. There was also a very interesting display of old Baltimore Album quilts from the 1840s and 1850s.

There was a good range of interesting stalls too. I always like seeing different things and found a new to me business selling teddy bear making supplies called Amazing Craft. I must get out my half finished teddy bear and get it done. I've made a few bears over the  years and would really like to get back to it.

I bought a bit of this and a bit of that ...


Lots of buttons, an embroidery book, a coat pattern and some cat fabric. I had to buy the cat fabric as the grey tabby on it looks just a bit like Tolly cat.


I've turned it into a reversible tote bag, using my trusty pattern


See the cat with is left paw up in the air? That's exactly how Tolly looks when he's patting at the cat flap, trying to get it to open. Now the cat flap is controlled by the cats' microchips which are in the back of their necks. This means that they have to open it with their heads. My other cat, Linnet, learnt this in about two minutes ... more than two years later and Tolly still sits there patting at it. Really not the brightest of cats.

Amongst the bits and bobs I bought were a few of these intriguing purse clasps.


I found these on the Craft & Cotton stall where they were also selling kits using them. Have a look at their Peruvian Purse kits. I was very taken with these little purses which change shape when they're closed. So, naturally, I bought some clasps and set about designing a knitted version.


As you can see, the top is pulled together when it's closed to give it a triangular shape. It fastens with a magnetic catch to hold the contents securely. I knitted my purses in moss stitch, changing between the three colours every row to give a nice tweedy effect.

If you fancy making one of these, the pattern is free from my ravelry shop. It's easy to knit; the trickiest part is assembling the clasp but I've included lots of photos to help with that.


Now, what else can I find to do to avoid having to work on this year's Christmas pattern? I have actually sketched and planned it all now and I know the order the patterns are going  to be published in. Just the small matter of designing it all to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment