Sunday 11 August 2019

Comfort Knitting

At the moment I'm officially working on my big Christmas pattern series for this year. What I'm actually doing most of the time is playing with colours.


This is a Scheepjes Colour Pack, consisting of 10g balls of each of the 36 colours of their Stone Washed yarn and the 22 River Washed. I hadn't used this yarn before and thought it would be fun to knit squares with all the colours.


I decided to use the Quilted Lattice pattern that I used in my big blanket pattern last year and, after a bit of experimentation, worked out that I could knit a 5" square from each little ball and have just enough yarn left to make a colour peg for future reference.

The two yarn ranges go together well; the Stone Washed has a subtle variegation, a bit like Stylecraft Batik, while the River Washed is more of a solid colour but with a lovely bloom to the yarn. Both yarns are beautifully soft. I'm knitting the squares in order; here's the top row as it came out of the box.


As well as this comfort knitting, I've got some comfort crochet on the go too. I'm working round and round on a huge Granny square, using some lovely shades of Sylecraft Special.


Those colours may look random but it takes a long time to get the perfect balance of random. I'm thouroughly enjoying working on this; it gets dumped into a basket and taken with me whenever I sit outside and is now getting quite big.


Mind you,  a blanket that looks big on your lap doesn't look nearly big enough when you lay it out flat on the floor so I've got a way to go yet. Making this reminds me of my Granny who taught me how to make Granny square blankets like this. I remember sitting with her, working on them together, using up odd lengths of yarns as they came to hand. Happy Memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment