Thursday 24 January 2019

Finished Blankets



Over a year ago I published the first of fifty knitting patterns for a sampler blanket called Frankie's Blankie. All through 2018 I released a new pattern every week; some were simple knit and purl designs using one colour, others were multi-coloured slip stitch patterns. The whole thing was finished off this month with patterns for a knitted on border and a colourful edging.

As you can imagine, this was a lot of work to design and, as normal, I had my moments of wondering whether anyone would actually want to undertake such a big project, stretching over a long time. I needn't have worried. Lots of knitters rose to the challenge and one of the best things about the last year has been the community that has grown up round the blankie on my Ravelry group. We've talked about anything and everything, supported each other through difficult times ... oh yes, and compared notes on our knitting too.

Quite a few people have finished their blankets now (how impressive is that?) so I thought I'd share a few of their photos here. let's start with this one ...


This is Amity's blanket. Amity is from the US but currently living in England. All year I've been admiring her choice of variegated yarn for her contrast colour and the finished blanket is lovely. Note the cat in the bottom photo - what is it with cats and knitting? Whenever I pin out a blanket to block, my two always step carefully over the pins and lie down in the middle of it. Even if it's something quite small, they'll do their best to squeeze their furry bottoms onto it.

As you can see, Amity and I aren't the only ones that this happens to ...


Clockwise from the top left that's blankets by Amity, Anysia, Debbie and Monika. Monika's blanket isn't actually finished yet but her cat already approves. Lida from the Netherlands doesn't actually have a cat but she didn't let that stop her ...


Isn't that a lovely knitted cat? The stripes are the colours in the blanket - now I need to knit a toy to match my blanket too. Should you want to knit yourself a cat, it's a free pattern called The Window Cat by Sara Elizabeth Kellner. Sara has a beautiful blog called Rabbit Hole Knits with lots more toy patterns to tempt you.

Now where was I? Ah yes, finished blankets. Here's Lida's blanket without the cat; I love all those fresh, modern colours.


And look at the border on Anysia's blanket - I think this is inspired.


I'm going to steal that idea for a multi-coloured border one day. Again, this blanket looks so bright and modern.

There are several red and white blankets which I think are particularly attractive; you can't go wrong with red and white. 


This one is Hilary's and the next one is Shelley's.


I've really enjoyed seeing all the different colourways knitters have chosen for their blankets. This one, by Maggie, has given us sunshine all year.


Regina's colours are much closer to mine but I think hers looks nicer somehow.


Some of the best blankets are being made from stash yarns. This one, knitted by Jackie, is a good example.


You can read about Jackie's blanket on her blog Finally Finishing. In a year she's gone from someone who could knit and purl to this. Isn't that brilliant?

There are lots more blankets that are nearly finished and more being knitted this year so I'll try to show you some more later on this year. Thank-you to everyone who's made the blankie journey such fun.

1 comment:

  1. Frankie thank you again for your help and encouragement. They all turned out beautiful,

    ReplyDelete