Monday 7 January 2019

A New Doll for Christmas

Should you have been lucky enough to get a new doll for Christmas about ninety years ago, it might have looked like this ...


This is the most recent doll illustrated in the new book my son gave me as a New Year present. I say 'new book', it was actually published in 1928 and is called 'Ancient & Modern Dolls'. It was written and illustrated by Gwen White who was an artist who wrote books on design. I recognised her work immediately as I have her book on toys in my collection of King Penguin books.


Aren't these two of the most beautiful book covers ever? Look at the endpapers in the dolls book ...


Both books feature toys and dolls from museum collections (with details of where to see them) and are written in a friendly style. Here are some early toys in the smaller book ...


... and some very old dolls from my new book ...


I love the little story about the handkerchief that goes with this 19th century doll ...


This is a book to treasure. I've just been looking to see what else Gwen White published and came across a book called 'A World of Pattern', published in 1957 which looks like the most perfect book for me ever. Just saying, Jack. You might need to start saving now.

Anyway, I may not have got a new doll for Christmas this year but I did buy an old one a few days later. 


I found her on a trip to Brackley Antiques and I think she's lovely. She's a Rosebud Doll from between 1955 and 1960 which makes her just a bit older than me. Rosebud started making soft vinyl dolls in the 1950s and soft is the word, she's slightly squeezy to the touch. Her dress looks to be the original and she also came with a hat. She's not allowed to wear that anymore though as it had made her hair a very funny shape. 

I've carefully washed her and sorted out her hair and I've washed and mended her clothes. There's a stiff petticoat under than dress - very 1950s. She didn't come with shoes but has flat feet so I think she would have had them originally. I found some to fit and then made her a pair of socks out of a finger bandage. I think a white cardigan with tiny pearl buttons would be nice too.

I haven't been able to find a picture of this particular doll online so if anybody recognises her, I'd love to hear from you. It would be great to find a catalogue from the time which included her.

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    The rosebud doll in your newsletter is the same as my favourite doll as a child !!
    Mine was called Suzette I had lots of dolls but she was the one I loved most.

    I don’t know what became of her, but I drive my poor husband nuts sometimes when I tell him about her lol

    I was born in 1952
    I’m estimating that I got her around 1957

    Thank you for the photo

    I love reading your emails
    Patricia
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia, That's so lovely to hear about your doll. I loved my dolls so much, they were real people to me. My daughter was the same. I'm so glad you enjoy the blog; I love getting comments like yours.

    ReplyDelete