Wednesday 8 May 2024

Beryl, Iris and Jasmine

No, I haven't suddenly acquired three new cats (although wouldn't they be great names for cats?) Those of you who can't resist a nice piece of charity shop china will know at once what I'm talking about. Beryl, Iris and Jasmine are the three colours of china produced by Woods for many decades from the 1940s onwards; it was particularly popular in the 1950s. Beryl is green, Iris is blue and Jasmine is yellow. 

Green Beryl was produced in the biggest numbers and was a staple of many village halls for years; it turns up regularly in charity shops and the like. The other two colours are a bit harder to find so I was especially pleased to find this little collection yesterday.


A small teapot and three cups and saucers, all in the pale blue Iris. I was particularly pleased with the teapot as, not only had I never even seen a Woods Ware teapot but it's my favourite 1 pint size. They also made a bigger 2 pint size but that would be a bit big for me on my own. I'm very taken with the way the circular lid slots into an oval hole so that you can twist it to lock it in place. Sounds odd I know; you'll just have to take my word for it.


Needless to say, I had my tea out of it yesterday afternoon and you'll be glad to hear that it's a good pourer. The other reason that I like to use old teapots is that modern ones don't have built in strainers. I think they expect you to use tea bags and I use leaf tea. You still need a strainer but that internal one holds back quite a lot.

Anyway, this find prompted me to fish out all the pieces I have to show you. Don't they look pretty all together?


I don't actually have that much of the green Beryl really. I do however have enough for a small tea table in all three colours now.


Or perhaps this ...


Some of this china is in regular use, including my two custard jugs (well that's what I use them for anyway) and the little milk jug.


My Mother-in-law had the green Beryl as her wedding china in the 1950s and she gave me my big jug - thank-you Janet. 

I have a few plates of various sizes too and one little pudding bowl. There are three bigger plates  but only one Iris tea plate. I'd like some more of that size.


I have yet to find a list of all the items Woods made in this range but I did find a very good blog post about it which you might like to read (it has very pretty pictures too). Beryl by Woods Ware: 1940s and 1950s British Utility China. Do any of you still enjoy using this pretty and practical china?

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing your china. The jasmine was the set that my family used when I was quite a small child (over 50 years ago). It was our most used china, although my mum had other sets that were brought out depending on the judged importance of a visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, best china only for the best visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with Jasmine too - Mum used it all her married and widowed life but, sadly, I think it then went to charity shops. In-laws had the Jade - not sure what happened to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it can be sad when loved things go to charity shops, I always think of how pleased somebody will be to find it and give it a new home. Like the china that I found this week.

      Delete
  4. By Jade I meant, of course, Beryl!! I’ve not come across the Iris before.

    ReplyDelete