Monday 3 May 2021

Another Day, Another Blanket

After the relief of finally getting my Primrose Garden pattern published, I've got another blanket pattern ready for you today - this time a knitted one.


This is Bestway Blanket, a  small baby blanket made up of single rib squares which are knitted in the round. I don't think I've ever worked rib stitches in the round before. I got the idea from this old knitting pattern in my collection.


The bootees that particularly appealed to me were those yellow ones with the cuff. I tried knitting a pair and was very taken with the way that the rib pattern was shaped around the foot.


Double decreases give a nice sharp line and the direction of the rib stitches adds to the geometric look. So, I got out my double pointed needles and, after several slightly odd squares, came up with this.


The double decreases are worked halfway along each of the four needles, giving a nice raised chain along what becomes the diagonals of the finished square. I think the wrong side is pleasing too. I like the way that the rib stitches all 'point' towards the middle; you can also see in the first of the photos above how the lines of the rib catch the light slightly differently, depending on whether they run horizontally or vertically - another nice touch.

In a 'let's use some of the stuff I've already got' mood, I turned out as many chalky pastel shades as I could find from my Stylecraft Special DK baskets and found that I had 15 different colours. I knitted two in each and sewed them together to make a small baby blanket.

Each square takes about 10g of yarn so you need roughly 300g all together, plus another 50g or so for the attached I cord border. I'm pleased with how this one has turned out, especially as I don't often use paler shades like these. I think my 'new' First Love doll (yet to be named) likes it too.


I just love making blankets. Having taken weeks to write up my latest crochet blanket because it was quite complex (20 pages!), I felt the need for some simple, soothing crochet. 


That's right, another blanket. I'm whizzing along with this one, having worked out a way of not having to keep cutting the yarn. Why didn't I think of that before? I'm using more Stylecraft yarn for this one, this time Batik in cream and the Rainbow colourway of  Batik Swirl.

4 comments:

  1. And are you going to share with us the "way of not having to keep cutting the yarn"? Sounds like a useful tip! And, that pastel baby blanket is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indeed - I'll publish the blanket pattern once it's done, together with a scarf pattern using the same technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very productive at the moment! It looks like the influence of long covid is diminishing at last.

    ReplyDelete