Tuesday 29 August 2017

How to Knit a Granny Square


I've tweaked the knitted Granny Square that I showed you last week and added a Granny Circle to go with it and you can now download the free pattern for them both from Ravelry

I had a lot of fun working on this design. For a start I got to play with rainbow colours and then there was the challenge of trying to do something that at first seemed impossible. How to knit something in the round that looked like crochet? As crochet works with one stitch at a time and knitting doesn't, this was tricky.

It turned out that the answer was I cord. This is a way of knitting a thin tube on very few stitches, using double pointed needles. As the technique I developed meant that I would only have two or three stitches on my needles, I needed some nice short ones. The ones I went for were Knit Pro Zing 15 cm needles. These are sharp enough too find the spaces between the stitches but not so sharp that they split the yarn. Also - they come in lovely colours!


You can see my needles here, along with the seven shades of Patons Diploma Gold DK that I used for this project. I have to say that it takes a lot longer to knit a Granny Square, rather than crochet it but I rather enjoyed it. The finished shapes are quite thick so would make good mats or coasters. Seven rounds of knitting will give you a 10 cm / 4" mat.

I love this sort of designing where I feel I'm doing something new and exciting - it helped that it was a quick project too. It made a nice change from all the big designs I'm working on at the moment.

I hope you'll be tempted to have a go and knit your own Granny Square, why should the crocheters have all the fun?



No comments:

Post a Comment