Wednesday 26 April 2017

Tunisian Crochet

I have been having such fun experimenting with my new double ended crochet hooks from Purplelinda. Before I launch into blanket making with the Circular Hook, I've been having a little play with a standard Double Ended Tunisian Hook. Look what you can do!


Isn't that clever? You get two different patterns and colours, one on each side. I'm using some neutral coloured aran yarn and odd balls of Sirdar Folksong Chunky to make a scarf. I've got three different shades of the Folksong so I'm swapping them every now and then so that they blend together. This is really compulsive to work on; another bonus is that the crochet doesn't curl as if often does with Tunisian. This is because you're turning the work to use the different yarns.

I started doing Tunisian crochet last year. This is the first thing I made - a cover for my mini iPad.


For this I used three shades of hand dyed yarn from 21st Century Yarn; I love the way the colours blend together, more like weaving than knitting or crochet.

Then of course I'm still working on this ...

Tunisian Entrelac, worked with a normal crochet hook.

At the other end of the scale, I'm enjoying practising my tatting too. It's getting better, although it's best if you don't look too closely. I'm attempting the Hydrangea Doily from New Tatting which is made up of seven little flowers.


Three more to go and then I've got to master adding the edging. I'm using Finca Perle 8 for the coloured centres and some anonymous white thread that I found lying around for the outsides. I'd like to get some thinner thread to try after this.

Any other fans of Tunisian crochet or tatting out there? Tell me I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment