Wednesday 4 August 2021

Memories of Pat

 

Pat / Woolhelmina  by Pat's husband, Steve

As many of you in the knitting world will know, Pat Ashforth died a few weeks ago. Pat was a Mathematician, an inspiring knitting and crochet designer and a good friend to many. 

I've known Pat since I first bought her patterns by post many years ago and her work has continued to amaze me ever since - not to mention, making me a little envious. I once started a list of 'other people's patterns that I wish I'd thought of first', only to find that nearly all of them were Pat's. She managed to combine quirky, clever and colourful in every one and then rounded them off with a witty name. Just have a browse through her designs here and you'll see what I mean.

To me, Pat was a mentor. When I started designing, she was always there to encourage and help; I've lost count of the number of times she had to patiently talk me through the technicalities when I was new to ravelry. She was the one who suggested that we start a Frankie's Knitted Stuff ravelry group and would always step in to cover for me there if I was away or ill. People there will remember her sense of humour and her kindness to one and all.

We only met once, at a ravelry day in Coventry years ago - remember that? - but I feel that I have lost a good friend. I shall miss her.

Tomorrow I shall follow Pat's funeral service online. If  anyone else would like to do the same, here are the details:

The live feed for the service can be accessed at watch.obitus.com You will need these details to follow the service:

Username tema5825
Password 592014

The funeral is at 1.30 UK time; here is the time for other parts of the world:

5:30 am Pacific
8:30 am Eastern
12:30 UTC
14:30 Central Europe

There will also be a recording of the funeral, available after a few days.

If anyone would like to make a donation in memory of Pat, her family have asked for contributions to her Woolly Thoughts for Kidney Research fundraising page. Pat had a kidney transplant many years ago so this was a cause close to her heart.

It would be nice if her many friends and supporters around the world could come together to show the family just how much she meant to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment