Tuesday 18 June 2019

Works in Progress

This is where I try to turn the muddled collection of projects that I'm currently flitting between into something that looks planned and orderly.

I nearly always (who am I kidding? - always) have several blanket projects on the go but, lately, blankets have started to take over the house.


Now I didn't make these but I have been responsible for crocheting some of them together. They are going to be decorating my local park next month as we celebrate its 100th birthday.


This is one of the trees being fitted for its blanket. There are going to be ten trees decorated like this as well as half a dozen park benches covered with blankets and more used as picnic blankets on the grass.

We've had hundreds and hundreds of knitted and crocheted squares donated by volunteers; every time I go into the wool shop I come home with bags full of them. Finding people to crochet the squares together has been more of a challenge but we're getting there.


This is my favourite blanket, crocheted together by the brilliant Karen who also made all the crochet squares. This one is going in pride of place on the bench by the War Memorial in the middle of the park.

Here's one I made ...


This is one of a pair of long, thin blankets that I'm going to wrap round the top of the stone pillars at one of the park entrances. Just in case you're wondering, it takes quite a long time to crochet 96 flowers and even longer to sew them on. My friend Pat (who's doing sterling work on crocheting squares together) is making another pair of pillar blankets which will be decorated with pompoms.

The big day is Sunday, 14th July and there's still lots of crochet to do but I am not going to panic. It will get done. If anyone local is reading this, do come along to People's Park In Banbury on the day. It's going to be like a huge village fete with lots of fun for everyone. The day will start with a huge procession from the town centre to the park, via the Cross. It will be led by a Fine Lady (on a white horse, of course)* and will be full of groups big and small from across the community.

The original procession in 1919 was led by a white horse who had served in the war, complete with campaign medals on his bridle which must have been very moving. Sadly, it poured with rain on that day; keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't do that for us. We've had lots of rain lately, quite a lot of it torrential so let's hope it's getting it out of its system.

In between organising this yarn bombing, I have been working on other stuff too. What shall I show you first? Some pretty crochet?


I'm still in love with the new Sirdar Happy Cotton that I showed you the other week. After my 'how much can I make with ten 20g balls?' obsession, I'm now using twelve colours - plus cream - to make ... a blanket (of course I am). After crocheting a few squares I thought they looked a bit plain so I've added a little bit of running stitch across the diagonals to liven them up. This is a beautiful yarn to work with; I'm not normally a big fan of cotton but this one is lovely and soft to use.


More crochet but this time a shawl (very daring). This is a sparkly sock yarn and I'm using linen stitch which I absolutely love. It's a bit like moss / seed stitch in knitting which is one of my favourites. You can see it a bit better in a close-up.


I was originally going to make this shawl in Stylecraft Batik Elements but, after buying the yarn, I decided it wasn't right for this project. What to do with it? Turn it into a blanket of course.


I'm going to combine it with three shades of Stylecraft Batik, only one of which I had in stock so yet another order is now on its way. Please tell me this happens to you too.

The other project that I keep picking up involves lots of little triangles.


Each triangle starts with 60 stitches and you decrease rapidly on every round so they're quickly finished. The yarn is Schoppel Wolle's Edition 3 and I'm enjoying seeing the colours flow as I knit. Sewing the triangles together isn't quite so much fun though. I think this is going to be some sort of table runner, which is what I call this sort of project when it's not big enough to qualify as a blanket. There are going to be seven bright coloured stars, surrounded and joined by the green triangles.

I wouldn't like you to think that these are the only projects I've got outstanding. There are lots more; these are just the ones I'm actually working on at the moment. What about you? Are you working on something fun? A nice blanket perhaps?

* For my non UK readers, my town's claim to fame (along with Banbury Cakes) is its very own nursery rhyme:

'Ride a Cock Horse to Banbury Cross,
To see a fine lady upon a white horse.
                 With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,
        She shall have music wherever she goes.'

So now you know.

6 comments:

  1. What will happen to the blankets after the festivities are over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're keeping most of them to decorate the park for future events but are looking for a charity who would like the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see all those blankets... I'm wondering if there is a blanket in me somewhere waiting to come out... you know like that one novel often mentioned...

    since I last commented I got around to learning to crochet... I think it was saying I couldn't read patterns (or something like that) which spurred me into finally acquiring this skill... or at least get past the initial bump on the learning curve... yesterday I completed a hat... and I've lots and lots of non-matching flowers and not even vaguely square squares to show for my efforts.

    Seeing your wips reminds me how very far I have yet to go...

    I hope everyone appreciates the added beauty on the day!

    P.S. Are you adding rings and bells to the lady (or indeed the horse)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, I hope you're enjoying your crochet. Of course everyone has a blanket in them (or, in my case,hundreds of blankets).

      We're meeting the fine lady this evening to discuss her costume and yes, there will be rings and bells.

      Delete
    2. I am enjoying playing with crochet... I'm finding the most fun part the way one can go in any direction... and I am seriously enjoying everything coming out different... I'm hoping I'll get to the point where I do actually want to make things that match enough to make joining them together easy...

      I wish I could be in Banbury for your parade... I know I'm only 2.5 hours away but in my state of health that's too much unfortunately. (I've been ill for years so this isn't likely to change in time... but I can always hope!)

      I'd love to see how you go from whatever you (collectively) decide to do for the costume and how it then emerges.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I like that about crochet too. You can make it up as you go along. I used to make a lot of purses, working in the round. You can just increase until it's about the right size. With knitting there's more advance planning needed.

    I'm going to get my daughter to take lots of photos on the day of the park party and will share them here.

    ReplyDelete