Wednesday 27 March 2024

Housekeeping

No, not that sort of housekeeping.  I've been publishing my patterns for more than fifteen years now and some of the early ones are looking rather the worse for wear. According to ravelry I currently have 594 patterns available on my designer page. Now I'm not planning to re-write all of those but I did think I might tidy up a few.

I've started with my various Christmas stocking patterns, most of which are mini stockings.


So far, I've completely re-written and photographed the original Mini Stocking pattern (bottom right in the picture) and that will be available once I've proofread it. I've also added more step by step photos the Mini Dotty Stocking (top left) which is also in the proofreading pile. After that I want to have a look at the Small Stocking and Gingham Stocking patterns. Oh, and the photos on the Classic Christmas Stocking are dreadful too ...

Once I've sorted all those out I've got two new mini stocking patterns to write up and publish, a three colour slip stitch one and one decorated with some Fair Isle.


I've also got some other patterns on my list to re-write. Raggy Doll was one of my early patterns and the yarn I used has long been discontinued. Also, the photos aren't very good.


I gave her a complete makeover with new, brighter yarn last year but as I was knitting her for a quick present, I didn't take any step by step photos so I shall have to knit another one. Never mind, I can think of another baby who would like a raggy doll.


I also want to re-work my Baby Boots pattern. These actually stay on a squirming baby and I've knitted quite a few pairs over the years. In the original pattern, the bigger size are just knitted on bigger needles so I'd like to work out a proper re-sizing using the same needles and tension as the smaller pair.


Are there any of my old patterns that you feel could do with more photos or clearer instructions? I can always add to the list.

I've also been housekeeping my sewing patterns. I have a few 'Frankie's Sewn Stuff' patterns available on Google Drive. You can find them by clicking on the links in the sidebar - just under the pink label that say's 'Frankie's Fundraising'. Mostly, I've designed bags or, to be more accurate, various sizes of this bag.


This is my reversible tote bag which I've made lots and lots of times. I've also pieced together different fabrics for this bag.


The one on the left is my everyday shopping bag; I made it out of some remnant scraps I bought years ago. I have also designed several smaller versions of this bag including a mini one that's only about six inches tall (I'm writing that one up at the moment). I'm planning to edit the current patterns and add new ones soon.

I want to write up the method I use to make lined drawstring bags in any size (very useful for presents) as well as turning some of my other sewing ideas into patterns. I make notes whenever I work out something new to me so other people might find them useful too.

There's a simple square fabric box ...


... a purse with a zip on the front (this took me a while to work out) ...


... and a straightforward tissue holder (also a useful present).


I'm rather fond of my little fold up cases too. I hand pieced the little hexagons for these and use them to hold mini cross stitch kits.


These little handwarmers are very easy to make and can be popped in the microwave to heat and then slipped in your pocket on cold days.


When I couldn't find what I call my 'hot thing' which is a long thin heatpack for my constantly sore back, I also worked out how to make one of those.


What with all this re-writing, I haven't been doing a lot of new designs lately and some of them are variations on old themes. My latest pattern uses my ten stitch technique to knit a basic hat.

Ten Stitch Hat

Of course, I couldn't leave it at that so I'm currently working on a baby hat.


It's turning out more of a toddler size but never fear, I have an idea for adapting the pattern for smaller heads too.

I do have one new pattern ready to write up actually - a set of knitted pouches, closed with drawstrings. Even the smallest one of these holds a surprising amount.


And yes, there will be a sewing pattern for the same thing. Now all I need to do is to find time to get on with all this stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Such useful patterns Frankie - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Gill, I'm nearly ready to update and publish the three sizes for the reversible tote bags.

    ReplyDelete