Tuesday 22 December 2020

Christmas Wreath

Every year for the past ten years or so I've prepared a big Christmas series of patterns to be released during December. I started with my Advent Garland and, since then, there have been trees, a Gingerbread House and more than one Christmassy scene.

Not this year though. I normally start work on the big Christmas pattern in March and, having been ill since April, that obviously wasn't going to happen in 2020. Instead, members of my ravelry group have been sharing their progress on various Christmas projects, often ones which have been languishing unfinished for a while.

For a long time I've thought it would be nice to knit a more Christmassy version of my Woodland Wreath, which I originally intended to be a celebration of Autumn rather than Christmas.


I still like this wreath (it's hanging on my front door at the moment) but I hankered for something a bit more festive. So, I set out to knit a Christmas wreath, using some of my existing patterns.

To start with, it was straightforward. I covered the polystyrene wreath with knitting and added lots of layers of leaves. I didn't knit the oak leaves (too autumnal) and used plain green leaves with embroidered flowers to represent the Irish Ivy in my garden.


Then there were the holly leaves and the mistletoe, followed by fir cones and toadstools.


I was pleased with the toadstools; often I go back to old patterns and am disappointed but these have stood the test of time well, I think.

At this point, it started to get difficult. The next two sets of ornaments I added were Santas and snowmen, both of which proved too fiddly for my tired Covid brain. They each involved quite a few changes of colour plus beads which meant finding all the bits, putting them all together, tidying up afterwards ... too many things to think of at once. I nearly gave up at this point but I'm glad I didn't.

I think there should be another snowman but I just couldn't face making another one.

Once these were done, the end was in sight. The last two sets of ornaments were wrapped presents (just knitted squares) and little stars. I was so glad to get it finished. I would have done a happy dance after sewing the final star to the wreath but that would have just made me feel worse.

So, here it is - one Christmas wreath.


I had planned to add a string of lights to it once I'd finished the knitting but decided that the lights took away from the knitting too much. what do you think?


Anyway, I now have a festive wreath, as well as the original.


I don't think I've exhausted the potential for knitted wreaths yet. I've already designed a Springtime Wreath and one with a Seaside theme so that's the four seasons covered. Next, I think I'd like to work on one featuring festive food and drink; I envisage this one as a mini wreath, about half the size of the others.

In the meantime, I've been struggling with a crochet version of the little knitted mini stockings that I've been making for years. I thought this would be a quick design but it turns out that crocheting something foot shaped is harder than knitting - or maybe I'm just not very good at crochet. The hardest parts were the heel and the cuff. I think this one looks all right but I need to make some more to test a few details. I'm hoping that by next Christmas the pattern might be ready to publish.

12 comments:

  1. I like both wreaths! They are both very very pretty!
    Frankie, I want to wish you a very merry Christmas and a better next year.
    Motylek73

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you. I hope you have a good Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello im looking for your patyern for christmas wreath please

      Delete
    2. I haven't published the Christmas Wreath as a pattern - maybe next year.

      Delete
    3. I love your C

      Delete
    4. I have finally got this one ready to publish. It will be six patterns: the first one to be released on 1st November this year and the remaining five in December. The first pattern deals with covering the wreath, then there are instructions for two sets of leaves or decorations in each of the other five.

      Delete
  3. Hi Frankie, do you have this woodland wreath in a book of patterns, I've downloaded it once but as a person so not clever with tech stuff I cant find where I put it, hopeless.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, it is in a US book called 'Knit a Vintage Christmas', published by Stackpole Books. Other than that, you can download it again from ravelry or, if you email me, I can send you it as four A5 booklets (pdfs,so digital again). Don't know if any of this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that, shall we try email and see how that goes otherwise I will see if I can order the book somewhere. Cheers Frankie
    My email address is roseecmcc7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frankie, received the patterns no problem. Thank you so much for doing that, I am looking forward to doing it, it will be one of my winter projects.
    Once again thanks, you've been very kind.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Frankie,
    I am making the gingerbread house for my nephew for a Christmas present at the moment and I can't tell you what enormous pleasure I am having seeing it come together. It is in no way as wonderful as yours, but I am pleased, as I hope he will be. He's 28!! but he loves sweets, so I shall fill the house with his favourites. Thank you so much for sharing your talent so freely. I hope you are fully recovered from Covid, and are able to look forward to this Christmas. I am hoping to tackle 'The Night Before Christmas' for my Grandchildren next, and then the Christmas wreath. Thank you so much once again and I will most certainly do as you request in all your patterns. Merry Christmas, albeit early, and a very happy New Year to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Midge, I'm sure your nephew will love his gingerbread house - you're never too old for such things. I'm glad you're enjoying my Christmas patterns. I've had a few requests for the pattern for this Christmas Wreath so I'm hoping to write it up for Christmas 2022. Long Covid is still with me but I'm used to it.

    ReplyDelete