Tuesday 2 April 2019

February in Yarn


I finished the second block in my Year in Yarn project, just before the start of a new month. February's square was really uneven before blocking and still looks a bit wavy but I'm sure it'll be fine once I've added more blocks.


I only worked on six projects in February which isn't many for me ... but I did finish a couple of things. Keeping track of what I'm making like this is definitely helping me get on with things that might otherwise be forgotten.

So, starting from the top left, that navy blue and red rectangle represents yet another new crochet blanket. I'm working swirly textured circles in lots of colours and then turning them into squares with the navy edging. 


The centres look like they're raised in this picture but they're not; the squares lie flat. I thought I'd use lots and lots of shades of Stylecraft Special DK for this one to make it a charm blanket (charm quilts have lots of fabrics, each used only once).

The big knitted grey square with the red and blue stripes is for my Pocket Boxes which I finished in February. These are little pop-up boxes, just right for holding stitch markers or other tiny things.


I do like making this sort of thing - fun, small and pretty colours.

The next rectangle - the yellow and cream one - is for a project that got started and stalled in the same month. I had the idea of working a brioche stitch in two colours on double pointed needles, inspired by Nancy Marchant's book Knitting Brioche. Well, I worked out a stitch I liked and it sort of worked but I'm not really happy with it. I think I need to leave this one for a bit and let it re-think itself - and yes, that does happen.

The big cream square at the bottom represents my finished Secret Garden blanket which I'm really pleased with. This one took me a year to knit and is quite detailed but I loved knitting it from start to finish.


I've been surprised at how popular this has been on ravelry; it's normally my simple designs that catch peoples' eye. It'll be interesting to see if anyone actually knits it.

What's next? Ah yes, two more blankets (there's a surprise). The crochet one with several colours is for my Mini Marshmallow blanket which finally got going again in February. The blue triangle is part of my latest Ten Stitch design. I'm not telling you what this is as I want it to be a surprise when I publish it but it's getting pretty big now. I think it will look better for being really big so I'm carrying on with it for a bit longer but it shouldn't be too long now.

And that's what I was working on in February. I've just finished the list of projects I worked on in March and there are more than twice as many - lots of them crochet - so the next block will look completely different.

And here's the first of the scrapbook pages to go with February's block.

Note the censored Ten Stitch title.


No comments:

Post a Comment