Saturday 7 October 2017

Getting into Practice

Next year I'm determined to turn what my family call my 'knitting empire' into a part-time empire so that I have time to do other things. Now that the end of my big projects is in sight (next year's KAL and the Christmas pattern will be done by the end of this month), I'm getting into practice for next year by getting out of the house occasionally. Apparently putting the bins out doesn't count!

So far I've had a couple of good muddy walks, complete with picnics. I do love a picnic, whatever the weather - one of the many things I've inherited from my Granny. She would take all the grandchildren down to the forest for the day (the New Forest) and we would cook our picnic on a little primus stove. I remember holding the umbrella over her one day while she cooked so that the rain wouldn't put the stove out.

Anyway, look who I met on a walk in the woods this week ...


You'll have to look closely as he was very shy. We stood and looked at each other for nearly five minutes before he bounced back into the trees.

I also managed to get to the Seurat to Riley exhibition at Compton Verney which was excellent. I saw so many clever ideas that I had to stop to buy a new pad of graph paper on the way home so that I could play about trying to turn them into something woolly. I've bought a season ticket for Compton Verney so I'm looking forward to lots more visits.

I'm lucky to live a few miles from the village of Adderbury where the church hosts wonderful music from The Adderbury Ensemble and other top musicians. I went to the first concert of the Autumn season a few weeks ago which was so good. Tomorrow I'm going again, this time to hear the Tippett String Quartet I can really recommend the Music in Adderbury concerts; many of the musicians can also be heard at the Oxford Coffee Concerts.

And now I've still got more than twenty patterns to write up ...

No comments:

Post a Comment